Your swimming pool is the social epicentre for friends and family during Perth’s warm summer months. You can extend the enjoyment to the cooler weather by installing a heating system for your swimming pool.
The most commonly used pool heating systems include:
The type of pool heater you choose depends on needs — how often do you plan to use your pool in the cooler months? Your budget is also a significant factor since pool heating prices vary by system and amount of use.
Read on to learn more about the advantages and disadvantages of each type of system and their respective pool heating costs in Perth.
Solar Pool Heating
Solar pool heaters in Perth harness the sun’s energy to heat pool water, making them the most popular pool heating system in Perth. Solar pool heaters operate by directing water from the pool to the solar collector, where the sun heats the water and sends it back into the pool. The heating cycle repeats until the water reaches the desired temperature.
Benefits of Solar Pool Heating in Perth
- Environmentally friendly. Solar heating heats your pool naturally, reducing your carbon footprint.
- Free energy. Perth solar heaters are run by harnessing energy from the sun. After the initial purchase and installation, solar pool heating costs in Perth are negligible.
- Low operating and maintenance costs. Aside from purchase and installation, there are minimal costs to run a solar pool heater.
Disadvantages of Solar Heating
- Weather dependent. The solar collector requires direct sunlight to generate heat. Weather events, cloudy conditions, and shade compromise the efficiency of solar-heated water.
- Slow heat-up time. Solar pool heaters take longer to reach the desired water temperature; if the weather is consistently cloudy for several days, the pool water temperature will drop.
Installation and Operating Costs of Solar Pool Heating
Solar pool heating prices in Perth vary, depending on the size of your pool. The cost of a basic solar heating system ranges between $1,000 and $5,000. Solar heating installation costs also depend on the size of your pool. Pricing for installation service runs between $600 and $2,500.
Solar pool heating costs are the lowest of the three types of heating systems. Running costs for solar pool heaters refer to the energy cost required to operate the pool pump, less than $1 per day.
Electric Heat Pumps
Electric pool heating utilises the same technology as air conditioning but in a reverse cycle. The fan in the heat pump draws in heat and humidity from the atmosphere and transfers the heat to the pool water through the electric heat pump.
Benefits of Electric Heat Pumps in Perth
- Energy efficient. Electric heat pumps produce 5 kW of heat per kW of power consumed.
- Low operating costs. Running costs are low because electric heat pumps are extremely energy efficient.
- Relatively fast to heat up. An electric heat pump will raise the pool water temperature more quickly and consistently than a solar heater.
Disadvantages of Electric Heat Pumps
- Expensive to purchase. The purchase price of an electric heat pump is roughly twice that of solar or gas pool heaters.
- Sensitive to colder air temperatures. When operating in temperatures below 7°C, electric heat pumps run the risk of ice forming on vital components, resulting in mechanical failure.
Installation and Operating Costs of Electric Heat Pumps
Electric heat pumps come with roughly double the purchase price of solar and gas heaters. The price per unit depends on the size of the pool. An electric heat pump for a standard 32 m2 swimming pool costs anywhere from $4,500 to $6,000.
The cost for installation runs in the range of around $400, with a per annum running cost of approximately $500.
Gas Pool Heaters
Gas burn heaters operate by burning natural gas or liquid propane gas (LPG). The technology behind gas heating is relatively simple: Gas burns within a combustion chamber, heating the enclosed copper piping. The pool pump transfers the water through the heater and copper piper and then back to the swimming pool.
Benefits of Gas Heaters
- Speed. Gas pool heating fast and reliable. It takes less than 24 hours for a gas heater to raise the water temperature of a standard size swimming pool by 14°C.
- Convenience. Gas heaters offer the convenience of on-demand heating because of the speed at which they heat the water, making them an excellent choice for people who entertain on the weekend: you only need to turn on the pool heater the night before the event.
- Year-round swimming. Because gas heaters operate with such speed, even in the colder months, you can utilise your pool year-round.
- Not weather-dependent. Gas heaters do not rely on sunlight or outdoor temperature to generate and maintain heat for your swimming pool.
Disadvantages of Gas Heaters
- Inefficient use of energy. Gas heaters are efficient at heating water but demand more energy to operate. The result is exponentially higher running costs: For every 1 kW of energy consumed, gas heaters produce between 0.80 to 0.85 kW of heat, making them extremely inefficient and expensive to operate.
- Shorter lifespan. Gas units produce high levels of heat within the chamber and contain several moving parts. These factors contribute to more regular repairs and earlier mechanical fail than other types of pool heaters.
- Require LPG tanks or gas lines. You will need to either run a gas line to your swimming pool or make room in your yard for a sizable propane tank (that will require regular refills).
Installation and Operating Costs for Gas Heaters
The size of your pool determines the size and cost of your gas pool heater. For a standard 32 m2 swimming pool, you can expect to pay between $3,000 and $4,000. The cost for installation runs in the range of $250.
Table of Pool Heating Costs in Perth
See the table below for a cost overview of the three types of pool heaters:
|Heating System||Unit Price||Installation Cost||Per Annum Running Cost||10-Year Average Cost|
|Electric Heat Pump||$5,250||$400||$500||$1,065|
|Gas Heater LPG||$3,500||$250||$2,000||$2,370|
If the prospect of swimming comfortably in the colder months makes you want to run out and purchase a pool heater, it is worth your while to do some research. Be sure to gather price quotations from more than one supplier and check out their Perth customer review pages. Educate yourself on the pool heating options available to you, and don’t be afraid to ask questions.
If your wondering what the general costs of pool cleaning are check out our helpful resource – How Much Does Pool Cleaning Cost
Contact 1 Pool Care Today
Maximise the beautiful weather in Perth by extending your swimming season with a swimming pool heater. 1 Pool Care offers a variety of pool heating systems to maintain the water temperature in your swimming pool or spa for longer than you imagined possible. We have decades of experience working with homeowners and businesses in Perth to find the best pool heating solutions for their needs and budget.
We have the experience, expertise, and resources to provide installation, maintenance, and repair service on virtually any type of swimming pool heater in Perth.